Ruling on Fasting
Fasting is to abstain from eating and drinking and from all what nullifies it with the intention(of fasting) from dawn to sunset.
Ruling on Fasting
- Fasting is of 2 kinds, Obligatory and non-obligatory fast. Obligatory fast is divided into 3.
- Fasting in the month of Ramadaan
- Fasting done to expiate some sins we’ve committed.
- Fasting which is done due to an unfulfilled oath we made to Allaah.
So fasting in the month of Ramadaan is compulsory on all Muslims. Check Q2vs185
One of the benefits of fasting is a way of seeking forgiveness from Allaah.
Pillars of Fasting
- Al-Insak (To abstain from drinking and eating from dawn to sunset). Check Q2:187.
- Intention; One must have the intention of Fasting.
N:B Intention is in the heart and not what one pronounced with the tongue.
Hikmah of Fasting
- Tazkiyatun Nafs.
- A way of knowing how the poor feels.
Conditions of Fasting
- To be mature.
- To be sane.
- To be healthy.
- Free from Haid and Nifaas.
How to Begin and End Ramadaan
Fasting in the month of Ramadaan must begin with the sighting of the moon on the 29th of Sha’baan or after Sha’baan completes 30 (i.e if the new moon was not sighted on the 29th of Sha’baan) and it (Ramadaan) ends the same way it started (i.e, either when the new moon has been sighted on the 29th of Ramadaan or when it completes 30.)
N:B Beginning of Ramadaan should be after the announcement of the Sultaan in ones country regardless of whether it had been sighted in other countries or not.
Things that can make one stop fasting.
- Old age.
- A pregnant or a Nursing Mother.
Things that Nullifies Ones Fast.
- Eating and Drinking intentionally.
- Having Intercourse with ones wife.
- Vomiting Intentionally.
- Menstruation and Nifaas.
Permissible Things during Fasting.
- Sahoor (and should be delayed).
- Iftaar (and Hastening towards it).
- Using Fresh Date to break the fast.
- Du’a when breaking fast.
- Praying more than before in night prayers.
Summary of a lecture done by Ustaadh Mos’ood, Imaam Alagbala, Hafidhahullah, on Da’wahTube Ramadaan Lecture.
Join our mailing list to get updates of our latest posts, articles and lectures.