I don’t know what prompted me, but I noticed the ratio of women to men in a banking hall recently and wondered why this particular bank virtually employed only women; then I was in another on another occasion and the story was the same. I then said to myself: Poor men, their jobs have been snatched. Except for security concerns, some banks would employ no men at all.
When women sit at home, the work environment is less licentious, husbands and children get the best care and marriages and societies fare better. When men sit at home, the rest of the story is yours to tell…
وَقَرْنَ فِي بُيُوتِكُنَّ وَلَا تَبَرَّجْنَ تَبَرُّجَ الْجَاهِلِيَّةِ الْأُولَىٰ ۖ
“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance.” [Qur,aan 33:33].
Written by: Sheikh Murtado Adedokun, Hafidhahullah.
Today’s Tafseer will start from Aayah : 6. It is preamble to the fiqh of dreams.
- After Yuusuuf’s father interpreted the meaning of the dream to his child, he educated him and returned and directed all favors that Allâh would bestow on him to Allâh and also attached Yuusuf to Allâh by ربك, يعلمك، عليك. And this is character of the pious people, they direct people to Allâh not to themselves.
- Allâh bestowed 3 big favours to Yuusuuf as elaborated by his father. He enlighten him about the favors Allâh would bestow on him, not only him, his brothers who he had mentioned earlier to him that they would envy him would equally share from the favors. And this favors didn’t start from him rather his forefathers also had similar favors from Allâh.
- There are six points in this Aayah as mentioned by his father :
- Yuusuuf was chosen and made extraordinary person by Allah
- He would be among scholars well grounded in the knowledge of dream interpretation
- Real bestower of knowledge is Allaah not the teachers as they are just means
- He would have special favors
- Reminding him of Allaah’s favor on his forefathers
- Tied him with his kinship
- May Allâh choose us for good things and those that have been chosen for good may Allâh make them firm on that. As for those chosen for bad things may Allâh rectify their affairs. The word كذالك means again أيضا
- The word اجتباك as used in the verse means that Allâh has chosen him as Prophet, blessed him with good character and blessed him with wealth. The origin of اجتبى and اصطفى in both Qur’an and Sunnah when used are solely for religiosity 90%. The word اصطفى is more used in Qur’an than اجتبى they both mean اختر. The word اصطفى was used like 15 places in Qur’an while اجتبى was used in 10 places
- Knowledge of dream interpretation is it acquired knowledge or gifted knowledge? This will be discussed consequently.
- These words have same meaning رؤيا, أحاديث and أحلام. In Shari’ah the first terminology is common. As for the others terminologies were common to the past nation to mean رؤيا. As for أحلام in most cases in our Shari’ah it used for bad dreams that why the Prophets didn’t use to have أحلام.
- Different between إكمال and إتمام when they are used together as in Suratul Maaidah : 3 the former will mean something that comes gradually until it is complete while the latter means something that when it starts it will be sequential.
- To explain this more Allâh used تكمل when discussing about paying back missed Ramadan to indicate that it not a must one pay it at once unlike يتم used when talking about the period to fast from down to sunset. It was also used in the case of Hajj. It could be inferred from this that ويتم نعمته عليك as used by Ya’quub means that the blessing of Allâh on Yuusuf will continue flowing without stop once it started.
- Secret of using present tenses and future tenses; يجتبيك ،يعلمك، ويتم are two: this dream was the beginning of Allaah’s blessings on Yuusuf as a new life and secondly the blessings will be continuous and renewal for him.
- It is allowed and sign of respect to address one’s grandfather as father. The evidence for this is in this Aayah at hand and as used in Suratul Baqarah :133
- The Suratul Baqarah further established that it is allowed as sign of respect to address one’s uncle as father.
- Some of the Du’a made by Prophet Ibrahim and he was known as one of the Prophet that made Du’a mostly for his offsprings no wonder the Prophet Muhammad referred to himself as answered Du’a of Prophet Ibrahim . Suratul Baqarah : 124, Suratul Ibrahim : 37, 40,
- Parents should endeavour to intensify efforts to make Du’a for their children and offsprings. The benefits of this is that they be coolness of their eyes both in this world and hereafter
- Allâh ends this verse with two of his beautiful names عليم وحكيم.
- Allâh is most knowledgeable and most Wise
- Whenever an Aayah ended with names of Allâh it has relationship with the beginning of the Aayah.
- The chosen can’t occur without knowledge and it can’t be appropriate without wisdom. This showcased the relationship between the beginning and end of the Aayah.
- The authentic aqeedah towards names of Allâh as mentioned in Qur’an and Sunnah is to believe in them and that they have appropriate attributes derived from them. Allah is عليم that knowledge is one of His attributes as derived from this name of His.
- وصلى الله وسلم على نبينا محمد وعلى آله وصحبه أجمعين